|I REALLY needed drawing lessons...
||[Aug. 19th, 2007|10:42 pm]
Can anyone actually SAY "Does anyone know how to draw a foxaroo clinging for deal life to the numberplate of a sentient locomotive while supporting his weight by one foot upon the train's front buffers?"
Ok, speaking seriously now. I've rendered seven panels today in the hope of at last catching up to the present, but now the drawing is doing my head in. I've completed a rough sketch of Michael holding onto the front of GG1. Maybe it will look better in the morning. I need to sleep now.
Yeah, you really did do your head in.
For something that mentally demanding, I'd recommend doing less at a stretch, maybe five panels max?
(oh, and I can say it! Can't draw one, but I can still say it...)
The amount of effort in each panel is not so simple to quantify. The episode I produced for the 17th July consisted of 4 panels and were especially easy to draw.
Moray/Povray makes the cartoon so easy, once I get past the tremendous effort in designing new objects. After that it's just a matter of getting their position and camera perspective right.
The drawing is by far the most difficult part. I simply don't have a cartoonist's eye. That's something you have to be born with. Though I say so myself, I'm a fairly good script writer, but a lousy artist.
Darn, I'm sorry, that came out wrong.
*makes a mental note to not post comments when I'm really tired*
I meant to say something along the lines of "That much work would do me in, too."
Sorry for coming across so condescending...
'sallright. :) I didn't think you were condescending to me. I'm sure a lot of people would expect the same; that the amount of work would equal the number of individual panels. The way I'm producing my comic is very unusual. Freighter Tails is the only one that is produced in a similar manner (and I hope I can keep mine going longer...) ;)
Oh, just to clarify - panel 4 of that episode worried me because I wasn't sure how to draw Michael's jaw, but at least I didn't need to figure out how to position his entire body.
Well... one's better than none.
The drawings are all done (for two weeks worth), they've been scanned. Now comes the delicate process of melding them into the 3D backgrounds. I'd completed the first one, then noticed a continuity error; I'd forgotten to remove the metal plate that Michael had been riding. Had to touch that up in Paintbox.
After that I tried to continue with the other drawings, but kep making stupid mistakes that couldn't be undone.
The first frame is complete, and uploaded. I'll have to rest and try again tomorrow.
(Posting this from work)
A truly frustrating 24 hours. I can't believe the ordeals of getting this episode done.
was completed fairly easily. I expected the others to follow suit so I uploaded the image straight away.
took some adjustments, but wasn't too bad.
When I tried to assemble the last panel in the episode, which ought to have been the most simple, chaos reigned. First I made a mistake with the colours and had to start over. Then reached the final stage only to discover that Michael's head beyond the top of the image (when the image is scalled up I'm unable to view the whole thing at one time). So I started over, and reduced Michael's scale, only to discover at the final stage that he was now TOO small.
Tonight... tonight. I'll finish this tonight!
I'm making myself a checklist to avoid these errors in the future.
...and I'm going to learn GIMP at the first opportunity.