|Your 16 year old self
||[Nov. 7th, 2007|12:42 pm]
http://susandeer.livejournal.com/245277.htmlIdea stolen from SusanDeer |
SusanDeer posted this in her journal several weeks ago, and I intended to run the same idea but forgot until now. I've checked, and there are plenty of my circle of friends who haven't replied to Susan's run of this game.
"If you could go back in time, what would you tell your 16 year old self?"
In my case:
1) YOU'RE DYSLEXIC!! - You need to train yourself to use different studying techniques if you hope to keep up with other students.
2) Don't go into tertiary education for another few years after high school. You can still move out of home, but get a simple job until about 1991 when something called the internet will emerge and the entire face of computer technology will change. Otherwise you'll graduate from a course that turns out to be absolutely, utterly worthless. Make sure whatever course you DO take includes web page design and independant database design & maintenance, as well as the full range of Microsoft Office applications.
3) Avoid a geek who I now call "Mr Slander," although if you wait a few years before tertiary education you'll not be bothered by him anyway.
4) If at all possible, avoid moving to Sydney or even the Central Coast. With Web Page design skills you might possibly be able to stay put in Newcastle. There will be a rent crisis in Sydney starting in late 2006.
5) Don't place any trust in any member of your family other than your grandmother and uncle-in-law. Especially don't offer to share your appartment with your brother. If you do you'l need to keep doors and cupboards locked even when he's *supposed* to be out of the city. You'll also need a debt collector to keep track of his share of the rent, while he's earning $45k p/year.
6) There's a lady you'll meet at a Doctor Who convention who could become your future wife. Be aware that while she seems confident, it's a cover for the fact that's she's an emotional wreck. She'll appreciate you being a shoulder to cry on, but you must work hard to make her understand that talking has its purpose; it's not just idle conversation. Help her understand that her kleoptomania is a VERY serious problem, and that if she doesn't stop telling fibs and breaking promises to everyone around her she'll continue to find her friends turning away in disgust. Go very gently, or she'll flee.
7) Povray isn't just a fascinating toy. You can use this for creating superb backgrounds for your cartoon, and if you sign up for an internet connection you can use all the spare time you have to publish your work worldwide. Make sure you put "copyright" on every image.
8) Don't get too heavily involved in the dot com economy; the bubble will burst in the early 00's (2000-2009).
9) Write letters to the American embassy waring them of an impending terrorist attack. Here are the names of the terrorists...
10) Keep an eye out on the internet for any of the following people (Alphabetically): David Haisel, Den Whitton (Australia), Heather Hasket, John Robey, Kathy Garrison, Malcolm Earle, Mark Stanley, Michael Russell, Scott Kellogg, Scudder Kidwell, Susan Rankin. See if any would be interested in joint projects. Be wary that female hyenas are bossy creatures (this will make sense to you in time).